Sunday, December 13, 2009

A letter ( about her room chores ) to my 12-y-o daughter.


Dear S.,
since you don't know exactly what to do
I will explain it carefully.
There are things that need to be done at least
once a week:
- Put everything in order, books, clothes, other objects.
(that means, each item must have its own place,
that is not the chair or the trunk, or the whole desk)
- Dust the desk, the shelves, and every horizontal surface.
- Do the bed.
- Sweep and mop the floor.
And if I ask you to do some other chore,
it is not because I enjoy to annoy you,
It is because I need you to do it,
because I can't do all by myself.
You know, living together,
everyone has to contribute to the good
functioning of the whole,
including tiding and cleaning.
I love you.
Mom.
P.s.: I don't think I'm asking you too much....?

13 comments:

  1. Yes, this is a problem that doesn't quite ever go away, even when they're almost grown, like mine are. SITS sent me by, and I'm glad they did...Happy Sunday!

    Where's Clark Griswold When You Need Him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter is ten, and there are always books on her bed. We went through her whole room last weekend, and it took me from 10 am to 8 pm.

    I told her that Santa would not come and leave her presents if she can not take care of the ones she already has.

    Happy Sunday! Thanks for joining my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kimberly, thank you for the advice, stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) We're already having those talks with our 8 year old! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I imagine, Jes, you know, this letter is born out of a bit of her reluctance, and a bit of my tiredness. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I said this to my son until he left for college. I hope your daughter listens to you. Moms shouldn't have to do it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mountain Woman, my daughter actually is sweet and helpful, but she is a teen too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice, I'm pretty sure I got a lot of these types of letters when I was little. Now I'm dating a neat freak, so I'll continue to get lots of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alessandra, hope ur doing great dear:)

    Oh if my mom reads this she would go back to those nostalgic days about me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to get my 13 year old son on this chore plan too; I am much too lenient. And yes, I love that they think we are asking them to do chores just to annoy them. There are so many other easier ways to annoy them!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mythreyi, oh, today I was a bit nervous, but reading your comments made me smile :-)
    And do you really think a mum might be nostalgic about these things?
    And how are you? I saw you don't post for a while, busy with the move?

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post, share it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin