Friday, October 2, 2009

A more eco friendly.... laundry.


Recently, after my mom's advice, and after reading an article about it, I started to experiment with an alternative way to do laundry.
In this way you cut off harmful chemicals that spoil environment and our health too.
Now, for a load, I use half of the detergent dose ( ecological is better ) and for the whites I add a tbs of washing soda.
For dark colors, on the contrary I add a tbs of baking soda ( more delicate and dissolves better), these two products enhance the washing power of the detergent and are not toxic ( but washing soda is irritant so don't touch it with bare hands).
Instead of the softener now I use half a glass of vinegar ( white of course ) with 3 drops of a natural essential oil for a good perfume ( now I'm using lavender but I want to try bergamot because I'm fond of Earl Grey's scent).
I assure you, the smell of vinegar doesn't remain on the clothes, I was afraid of that too.
After the first time, in which it was a bit strange this new method, now I'm very happy with it, the laundry is cleaner, softer, scented, less wrinkled...and more sane.
Thank you, Mom!

If you need/want to buy the items I'm talking about, and don't know where, you can check my amazon store in the right sidebar.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! thats a great environmental friendly tip, was really useful and will surely follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mythreyi Dilip, I'm glad you appreciate it, oh and it's a frugal tip too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice. We've been using a natural washing detergent for our clothes for a couple of years, and no longer use dryer sheets either. I read that adding baking soda to the water helps soften the clothes too. I'm going to give the white vinegar a try too as I'm alsways open to new things. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome, wildcatsthree, thank you for visiting and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great advice. I remember reading years ago about not needing all the detergent on the label so I also started using half and it does work. Now I know about baking soda and vinegar. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All good ones. Vinegar does not smell when it dries. Works great as a hair conditioner too, for the same reasons as laundry. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Frugal and greener...doesn't get much better then that in my book!

    Great tips!

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post, share it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin