Friday, July 17, 2009

Sugarless zucchini chocolate squares



I was looking for something healthy to satiate my cravings for sweets, that was not "so" sweet, I was inspired by this recipe of chocolate zucchini cake, hence decided to experiment.
I anticipate...the experiment came out well, at least for me and unexpectedly my family appreciate the result, my hubby too (miracle;).
So here the recipe
Ingredients:
3 eggs
1/3 cup of oil (of your choice, I used sunflower)
2 tbs plain yogurt
5 tbs acacia honey
4 tbs cocoa unsweetened
2 medium zucchini grated and squeezed to discard the liquid
1 1/2 cup flour ( I had the all purpose one, but next time want to try whole wheat flour)
1/2 ts baking powder
1/2 cup raisin ( soaked in water and well drained )
3 tbs pine nuts ( I had it, and liked a lot, but you can use walnuts, or pecans, or try any other kind of nut available )

I added the ingredients in the same order as above, in a large bowl, while mixing well with a spoon.
I butter and floured a rectangular baking pan and distributed the mixture.
Put in the oven at 350° F ( 180°C) and cooked for 15-20 minutes.
When cooled, ( do you really think I let it cool before eating ? ) I cut the cake in regular squares ( like brownies ).
For me it was the perfect kind of sweetness, not too sweet, not bitter, but if you prefer something sweeter you can add some more honey or use sugar instead, just try the dough and add sweetener to your taste.
You can use brown sugar or fructose or what you like and/or is available, just experiment!
I have to say that unlike ready-made snacks this one satiates you with just one piece ( or two ;) and for a long time, may be due to honey, or zucchini, indeed healthy food is far more satisfying than junk food.

7 comments:

  1. These look so enticing--I can't wait to try them! I think I have everything to try it, so I don't even have to pick up anything extra to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, i have to make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be sharing this with my mother who loves zuchini

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love how you made these sugar free and so healthy they look excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the inspiration, newlyweds!

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post, share it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin